December 24, 2008

My Christmas

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 Posted by Mary No comments
In a few minutes, clocks will strike midnight where I am and it will officially be Christmas. As always during Christmas Eve, I tend to ponder about things going on in my life. It's basically a time for me to go emo.



I have to say, for the first time in my life, I am quite contented with the things I have. Maybe it's because I found a wonderful man, or because I now know what I want to do with my career... but most probably it's because in my own little ways, I really put Christ in my Christmas this year. Christmases for me in the past were all about parties and receiving gifts, but now, it's completely different. I vowed on my own to complete the nine-day Misa de Gallo, without my mom needing to throw a fit every single time she had to wake me up at 3:30 a.m. to go to Church, and I gave out a chunk of my salary this month to help an indigent family. I feel the need to give and be generous, and I wish I could give more. Unfortunately, I just don't have the resources.

Maybe I am getting old, but I'm really realizing now--and not just saying it--that the true meaning of Christmas is not about making yourself happy. It's about remembering the reason why we celebrate this holiday in the first place--the birth of Christ--and about making other people happy, especially those who are not so fortunate as yourself.

Here's to a Happy Christmas for everyone and a wonderful new year ahead!


0 comments:

Post a Comment