August 12, 2010

Notting Hill

Thursday, August 12, 2010 Posted by Mary , 1 comment



Notting Hill is on HBO again. I've seen this movie about a gazillion times, but every time I watch it, I am reminded that it is undeniably my most favorite romantic comedy of all time.

There are so many things I love about this movie, I don't even know what to start listing first. I remember when it was coming out in 1999. Even before it was shown, I was already looking forward to it. After all, the lead star is my favorite actress, Julia Roberts. Also, the main song of the movie, When You Say Nothing At All, was performed by Ronan Keating, the lead singer of my favorite boy band at the time, Boyzone. But that's only the beginning. 




I don't think I've ever seen a wittier and funnier romantic comedy, really. Notting Hill is just one comedic scene after the other, made especially brilliant by its ridiculously funny supporting characters and witty lines. Remember Spike (Rhys Ifans) and his ridiculous t-shirts? Or the part where William (Hugh Grant) goes to visit Anna (Julia Roberts) and he has to pretend he's a journalist from a magazine called Horse and Hound? Remember the young Mischa Barton and the Leonardo DiCaprio/Da Vinci disaster? How about the prescription goggles? And who can forget the memorable quotes? "Surreal but nice," "You daft prick," and of course, "I'm also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her," along with many others.

Many romantic comedies will be created, but I don't think there will again be one with just the perfect blend of star power, comedic wit, and cheesy romance. I'm quite grateful to have witnessed this movie, and I'm sure it will remain my favorite for a long, long time to come.


1 comment:

  1. I love this movie! I need to watch it again. :D

    ReplyDelete