October 18, 2003

Pumpkin Joint 2003

Saturday, October 18, 2003 Posted by Mary , , No comments
Today was English Students Society's (ESS) "Pumpkin Joint 2003". ESS by the way, is an organization of students from Ferris who want to explore the English language more. April and I joined it because we thought that maybe we could get something out of it, and we needed to do something with our time, too. Every Friday, we have luncheon meetings with them in one of the rooms at the University.


When they told me that there was gonna be a "discussion" today from 10:00 to 5:00, I wasn't very keen on it. You see, who would want to be in a single discussion which topic was about "wealth" for a whole day? But I dragged myself there, and to my surprise, it was a big deal! From the moment we came to the intersection near the campus gates, we saw girls holding placards saying "Pumpkin Joint". I thought it wasn't for ESS, but it was! It turns out, Pumpkin Joint is a yearly event hosted by Ferris ESS wherein they invite ESS members from other schools in Tokyo and Yokohama to come over and have a discussion. The venue was at a nice hall and there were more than a hundred students attending. All in all, there were representatives from 14 schools of Tokyo, Yokohama, and Chiba.

We were then grouped into six persons, and had one classroom for each group in the 7th Building. I was quite happy with my group. There were four girls and two boys. Our group leader was from Meiji Gakuin University, and she was an exchange student to the states for a year. Another member was from Ferris, and she also stayed in the US for two years. There was one girl from Tokyo University for Foreign Studies, a boy from a technology school in Tokyo, and another boy from Chiba University.

We had around an hour of introducing each other, had lunch, and then discussions about the topic. The girls were pretty good in English, and the boys could speak it, so I had no problem. It was a lot of fun actually. We had exciting "thinking" games afterwards, and I was actually a bit sorry when the joint ended. It was cool, and I made new friends. Contrary to what was expected, I really had a good time. Hmmm, sometimes that's the advantage of expecting the worst.

0 comments:

Post a Comment