February 22, 2009

Top 10 Places to Visit

Sunday, February 22, 2009 Posted by Mary , , No comments
I love traveling. I love to dream about it, I would recommend it to anyone, and I consider traveled people really lucky. We all know, of course, that traveling needs a lot of time and resources. But imagine having all the money and time in the world, allowing you to travel anywhere you wanted. Where would you go, and why? Here is my Top 10 list:


1) Santorini, Greece 
If someone told me to pack my bags and go anywhere I wanted to, I'd choose Santorini, hands down. It has amazing beaches, quaint white houses on hillsides, and supposedly the world's most beautiful sunset. Add to that its history as the cradle of Minoan civilization, its being volcanic, the unique culture of the Greeks---and you have a wonderful place that gives you the perfect mix of nature's beauty, night life, culture, and history. Santorini just fascinates me. For me, it is the most interesting place on earth. And really, there is a reason why so many movies were set here!


2) Giza Necropolis, Egypt
This place brings out the history buff in me. It makes me drool. I mean, don't the pyramids just bring out the awe in you? To behold them would be an out-of-this-world experience, I'm sure.


3) Sequoia National Park, California, USASequoia National Park has my third spot because of General Sherman, the largest tree on earth. I'd like to pay "homage" to it. Aside from that, I'm sure it has a beautiful view. It's also a great place to imagine Edward leaping among the trees...


4) Taj Mahal, India
It is somewhat sad that only after her death was Emperor Shah Jahan able to "give" this monumental masterpiece to his wife, Mumtaz Mahal. Still, the Taj Mahal can be considered the most elaborate gift of love, and I'd like to see it.


5) Cliffs of Moher, IrelandAs some of you may know, I had a crazy fascination with the Irish boyband, Boyzone, when I was a teenager. Along with this fascination for the group came the fascination for anything Irish, so I've always wanted to go to Ireland. The Irish countryside is extremely beautiful, and I would love to see all the castles and greenery. But above all, I'd love to see the Cliffs of Moher--the most popular tourist attraction in the country.


6) Tuscany, ItalyEver since I saw the movie Under the Tuscan Sun, I've always wanted to see Tuscany. There are other places in Italy I'd like to see, of course, but Tuscany is so charming and appealing. It seems like a wonderful place. And... the capital of the region is my name!


7) The Maldives Beaches, beaches, and more beautiful, clear, white-sand beaches--that's the Maldives! I know there are thousands of places with beautiful beaches, but there's this image in my mind of those pictures I see in magazines with hotels right in the water; where your private swimming pool is not man-made but a hole in your cottage that takes you right to the sea. That is simply awesome!


8) Uluru (Ayers Rock), AustraliaIt's only a rock, I know, but it's fascinating, it's red, and it's HUGE! There's nothing like it on earth, that's why it's a must-see! I also once read an article on Reader's Digest, about people having to return souvenirs (rocks) they took from the site because they noticed that it gave them bad luck. I don't want to get any kind of bad luck, but stories like these make the spot even more interesting.


9) Machu Picchu, PeruMachu Picchu is referred to as the Lost City of the Incas. I want to see this place because it's so majestic way up in the mountains. It's one of the most remarkable human accomplishments.


10) Petra, JordanIn the past, my dad used to bring magazines with Arabic writing when he came home. Not being able to read the writings, I'd look at the pictures. What stays in mind until now are pictures of Petra in Jordan. Of course, at that time, I didn't know what the place was called or where it was. Nevertheless, that did not diminish its appeal to me.

What about you, what comprises your list? If you have a blog, make your own entry, and send a trackback to me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment