March 22, 2009

Online (In)Security

Sunday, March 22, 2009 Posted by Mary , , No comments
Facebook. Twitter. MySpace. Blogger. Plurk. Friendster. Wordpress. Et cetera, et cetera. All over the web, and on our cellphones, Blackberries and iPhones, sharing is in. We share pictures, videos, all types of files, and we tell people--strangers--about minute details in our daily lives.




I, personally, have networking accounts on Google, Yahoo!, Facebook, Friendster, Twitter, Plurk, and MyBlogLog. Anyone wanting to find more information about me can search these networks and see everything I have put up online. It's a scary thought. Do you remember the movie The Net? And the more recent Eagle Eye? Anyone can use my info against me, if they wished to do so. That's why as much as possible, I try to keep my personal information safe online. I keep my full name and home addresses hidden, and restrict my profile to friends only on networking sites.

What about you? Do you have any qualms about how the world shares and communicates nowadays?

0 comments:

Post a Comment