May 31, 2010

Shrek's Message

Monday, May 31, 2010 Posted by Mary , 3 comments
I just watched Shrek: Forever After last night and I'm thinking how wonderful it is that we can get such profound messages from animated movies.




For those who haven't seen it, the supposedly final chapter of the Shrek franchise tells about the ogre getting tired of life with his family and missing his old days before meeting Fiona, when people were still afraid of him. In comes the conniving Rumpelstiltskin, who offers to give him a day of his old life, in exchange for a day in his childhood. But the day that Rumpelstiltskin takes is the day Shrek was born, and in the "alternate life" that Shrek has for a day, the kingdom of Far Far Away is in ruins, Shrek doesn't exist for his family and friends, and Puss in Boots is... fat. It perfectly fits the cliché of a "be careful what you wish for" story when Shrek realizes what he's done and that this is not what he wants, after all. 


Like its prequels, Shrek: Forever After remains adorable and funny. But it's sweet in a way that it makes us think about the things and people we have and how they should be appreciated. Living in a fairy tale, Shrek was lucky because he got a second chance. Most of the time, we do not get second chances. We just have to make the best out of our firsts.

3 comments:

  1. So nice! :D I want to watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me feel that. You did. It dripped from every word. Oh, how science had reduced orgasm to a sensation in our pelva. What about the orgasm of the heart? Oh how I am yours, when I understand you. You make me all yours. Or you are all me. I can't tell the difference. Just take me. God. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he got the shrek fever.

    ReplyDelete