July 18, 2010

Admiring Monet

Sunday, July 18, 2010 Posted by Mary , , 2 comments
I love paintings! There is a frame of Vincent van Gogh's The Starry Night in our living room. I purchased it from Art.com around 6 years ago because I wanted to pay homage to the van Gogh--the subject of the song Vincent, with his sad life, severed ear, and tragic end. I thought then that The Starry Night was my favorite painting. But when asked recently what my favorite was, I found myself choosing Claude Monet's Impression, soleil levant.

Impression, soleil levant by Claude Monet (1872)
Musée Marmottan Monet, Paris

Impression, Sunrise--I'm not exactly sure what attracts me to this piece of art. It's simple, and the image depicted is quite common, but it draws me in, like it has strings pulling me closer. I think it's the sun; the impression of the sunrise itself. It seems to give so much hope amidst the dark shades of blue--like an actual sunrise always promises a new day, a new beginning... something that we all should try to remember every day.

I've always loved Impressionist paintings. There are other works of Monet I like, as well. I badly wish I could paint, but unfortunately, that is one talent I just do not have. I guess I'll have to satisfy myself with just looking.

Argenteuil by Claude Monet (1875)
Musée de l'Orangerie, Paris

Water Lilies by Claude Monet (1920-1926)
Musée de l'Orangerie, Paris

Weeping Willow by Claude Monet (1918-1919)
Kimball Art Museum, Fort Worth

What about you, what is your favorite painting?

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful :) And I think you can paint. Before, I used to think I cannot paint but when given a brush and some watercolors at a young age it just pops out. But I'm not a good painter even after that, so I guess everybody has it in them but they just need inspiration for it to come out. Have you seen the art gallery across Sans Rival? The artist is a member of the National Artists of the Philippines. She's a very good painter and she also teaches painting, she even have a student who's a doctor but older already so I think that person is harnessing his painting talents at a later age. Hehe I also know a friend who's not a painter but he became one when he tried it. I love paintings and I love Van Gogh and it's the first time I heard of Monet's works, and I'm liking them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I should make an attempt at painting. Because you know, that other thing I like to do (coloring), is seriously for kids. LOL.

    ReplyDelete