April 1, 2004

David Beckham

Thursday, April 01, 2004 Posted by Mary No comments
Why am I even writing this entry?



To tell you the truth, I'm not exactly sure. I just have a few guesses, that's all. 1) I recently saw the new Pepsi commercial here in Japan. Who is in it? David Beckham. 2) Back home, my room is full of posters. Here, it only has one--with Posh and Becks in it. 3) A while back, I swore I'd write an entry about him. 4) He is so popular here in Japan, it's amazing! 5) I have nothing to do.; and 6) I just want to. Whoa! Six guesses. This entry might not turn out to be so bad after all!

Okay, back to reason #4. Why is David Beckham (or Becky as me and my friends would like to call him) so popular in Japan? Since I came here, I've seen a handful of commercials with him in them. Fran (a brand of pocky), Macadamia Nuts, Vodafone, Pepsi, a spa place with him and Victoria in it, and I'm sure a lot more that I've forgotten. Even Ayumi Hamasaki or uh... Tom Cruise, can't top Beckham. Why not Ronaldo? Or Michael Owen, whom I believe is as good-looking as he is and can hold his own in football. Owen even comes from England, too!

One of our dormmates here said just a few days ago that apparently there was one Englishman who asked a Japanese what he thought of England, and that person answered David Beckham. *hahahahaha* Poor Queen. Even she was forgotten! LOL

In his book, Beckham mentions that if he has photo shoots for use here in Japan, the producers want Victoria to be included as much as possible. To project an air of family, which they like here, I guess. Sad thing is, most people just think of Beckham and Victoria as this glitzy celebrity couple. But that's not true at all. Maybe I'm brainwashed because I read his recent book, but I don't know, try to read it and see for yourself.

I believe Beckham deserves his fame though. He's worked hard enough to become the football player that he is now, and he certainly tries to be a role model. I guess I should just be thankful that it's him who has become so popular here, and not some bad ass jerk.

By the way, if you're wondering, I also like David Beckham. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment